I’ve been really excited to share this delightful jam recipe after only discovering it a few weeks ago.
For me it simply trumps ordinary jam with amazing natural sweet fruit flavours as well as being wonderfully healthy; bustling with fibre, protein and anti-oxidants from the chia seeds and full of plant-derived chemicals, vitamins and minerals from the raspberries. I also much prefer the runny texture rather than a jelly-like formulation, which feels so unnatural to me.
It’s perfect for spreading on toast, topping porridge, yogurt or even ice cream. I’m not yet certain how long the shelf life is, but I think this relatively small batch will disappear within a week or two, it’s just so delicious!
450g of Raspberries (of course you can choose any berry)
1/4 cup Natural sweetner (I used 1/8 rice syrup and 1/8 maple syrup)
2 tbs of Chia seeds
1. Wash the fruit
2. Add to saucepan and small amount of boiling water, smash the fruit while softening on a medium heat
3. Add the sweetener to the fruit mixture and stir for a couple of minutes
4. Bring to the boil for 5 minutes to form a consistency
5. Add the chia seeds and cook for 1 minute
6. Stir and remove from the heat
7. Remove from the heat and leave to soak for 10 minutes
8. If the jam is too thin, add more chia
9. Sit for another 10 minutes
10. place into a recycled jar and store in the fridge
The featured image shows a spelt loaf that I made with a sunflower topping. Spread a layer of nut butter and then dollop some jam! A tasty and filling breakfast idea.