If you’re looking for a healthy twist on traditional Pate, then look no further. Taken from the CNM natural Christmas menu, this is an omega-3 filled sardine & cranberry pate. It only takes around 20 minutes to prepare and is a tasty and comforting snack that will impress guests and help you feel good about eating this Christmas.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tin of Sardines, reserve the oil
- 1/2 Red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 50 g of Fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp of Dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp of Lemon juice
- Salt & pepper, Freshly ground
- Warm a teaspoon of the reserved oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion with a pinch of salt until softened (2-3 minutes). Add the garlic, the cranberries, and dried herbs. Cook for a further few minutes until the cranberries begin to soften.
- Add the sardines and break them up with the back of your spoon. Allow them to warm through for a few minutes.
- Tip the fish mixture into a small food processor, add the lemon zest, juice, ¼ tsp salt and black pepper. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt if it needs more depth of flavour. Transfer to a small serving dish and serve warm, or refrigerate until later. Will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
It’s also autoimmune compliant (AIP) if you remove the black pepper, which could help relieve some anxiety around what you might snack on this Christmas – gluten filled crackers are obviously out, though! I will seek out an AIP cracker recipe if possible to partner with this. The Hemsley sisters have a great carrot & flax cracker recipe.
Do you have any other alternatives that you like making? Do share in the comments below.